Mistress to the Crown by: Isolde Martyn
Read & Reviewed by: Cris
My Review: I gave this book 5 stars and will read it again as well as recommend this to others. It is an amazing combination of facts and fiction, about the life of Elizabeth Lambard the beloved mistress of King Edward IV. It is set earlier in history then the books I normally love reading but, being a bit of a history nerd I found myself curious of a book that contained both fact and fiction, it was above and beyond my expectations and I find myself wanting to know more of this time period. Clearly the author did much research and gave the character such depth that I found myself feeling emotional for them. It was a great read and I hope to read more from this author in the near future.
Synopsis: The day Lord Hastings came into her husband’s store, Elizabeth saw the opportunity she had waited twelve years for — a way to separate herself once and for all from her dull, impotent husband, William Shore. The handsome stranger presented not only the chance to partake in the dance of desire, but legal counsel to annul her 12-year marriage.
She did not, however, foresee her introduction to the King of England, nor her future at his side…and in his bed. From this unlikely alliance, Elizabeth is granted severance from Shore, and finds herself flourishing in the radiance of the King’s admiration. But she soon finds that her new position comes at a terrible price — her family has shunned her, the people of London have labelled her a harlot and the Queen’s family want her to burn in Hell.
So long as King Edward and Lord Hastings stay close, Elizabeth is safe. However, her beloved Ned falls ill and Lord Hastings falls out of favour.
Can Elizabeth's wiles keep her out of trouble? Or will they lead her to further trouble...and the hangman's noose?

No comments:
Post a Comment