The Southern Slow Cooker: Big flavor, low fuss recipes for comfort-food classics by: Kendra Bailey Morris
Read & Reviewed by: Cris
My Review: I give this book 5 stars. And recommend it to all who enjoy fine Southern cooking. This book started out with a great introduction section that helped beginners know their way around what they would need in the kitchen to successfully use the recipes. That being said this book has so many delicious sounding recipes I think I gained 5 pounds just from browsing through them the first time. I have successfully made a delicious batch of the Smoked Ham, Potato, and Rice soup. I never would have thought to put rice in on my own. I also made a delicious meal of the SoCo Baked City Ham and Angel Biscuits(I can't believe I've been making biscuits out of a can for so long) with Granny's no Egg Applesauce Cake to finish it off. The recipes are easy to follow with appetizing results. The only thing that could have made it better was more pictures, though I may have started trying to eat my book.
Synopsis:
A collection of 60 soulful, comforting, and wonderfully convenient recipes for Southern favorites--from Black Eyed Peas with Stewed Tomatoes to Country-Style Pork Ribs to Molasses Gingerbread.
Cooking delicious, soul-warming Southern food that the whole family will love has never been easier!
Whether it’s a big pot of black-eyed peas, fall-apart tender pulled pork, or creamy apple butter, the greatest Southern dishes have one thing in common: they taste best when they’re cooked low and slow.
With more than sixty recipes for down-home favorites, ranging from Chicken and Cornmeal Dumplings to Buffalo Stout Beer Chili to Brown Beans and Fatback, The Southern Slow Cooker is packed with real Southern flavor. Author Kendra Bailey Morris presents regional classics from all over the South: church potlucks, Cajun and Creole traditions in the bayou, even her West Virginia granny’s old recipe book. Morris carefully tested and adapted each recipe for the home kitchen, and the result is a treasure for busy home cooks everywhere. With hardly any active cooking time and featuring affordable ingredients, every dish is simple, convenient, and downright delicious.
Start the slow cooker before work and come home to the mouthwatering aroma of Country-Style Pork Ribs. Or, prep the cooker on Sunday morning and have Breakfast Apples or a Sausage and Tater Tot Casserole ready by brunchtime. Since no Southern meal is complete without a sweet treat at the end, there are even slow cooker desserts, like Molasses Gingerbread, Lemon Blueberry Buckle, and Chocolate and Caramel Black Walnut Candies.
All of these satisfying, flavor-packed, and wonderfully simple recipes allow you to make the food you love in the time you have available—and will have you and your family begging for seconds.
No comments:
Post a Comment